Sunday, April 24, 2011

Processing All the Sources

Over the span of the last several weeks, I have inputted thousands of words from many very long documents into my brain, regarding the increase of the prison population in the United States. Now, looking back on the month or more of research, I have to compile all my facts, statistics, and thoughts into a clear, readable research paper.
I believe I enjoyed the research step much more than the writing of the actual paper.this is unusual, because mot of the time I enjoy the freedom that writing assignments present; there are hundreds of thousands of words to express any idea. But I did not feel the same attraction to this assignment, mainly because of the guided format and intrinsically emotionless nature of a research paper: present a series of facts, come to a conclusion.
That being said, the research was empowering. There was something invigorating, or scholarly, about education oneself on a topic of their interest, purely for the spirit of intellectual. I will fondly remember the days in the library where I carefully read through scholarly journals and old newspaper articles. I will remember writing a full draft without much fondness.

No comments:

Post a Comment